Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Hong Kong artists on the fringe

This morning I read
CONTEMPORARY ART
Hong Kong artists on the fringe
By Alexandra A. Seno
Published: December 18, 2007
International Herald Tribune Culture

It always interests me to learn how universal is our experience as artists.
"Au-Yeung estimates that, of the 45 artists he represents, including big names like Wucius Wong, only 10 percent can make a living from their works. Some like Warren Leung Chi-wo, who has shown at the Venice Biennale, teach; others have commercial careers - the avant-garde photographer William Lim has a successful architectural practice.
"Most of them have day jobs," Clark said. "There is a private side to Hong Kong art.""

At this juncture in my life I am very fortunate to just be able to create and not have to work another job. Creating art and financial survival is a universal dilemma of life for artists. For many years I had to balance family, a day job and art career. Interestingly sometimes the day job was a catalyst pushing the creativity, while some days the day job would leave me with no energy left to create. And I refer not to just one day job but to a multitude of jobs. No matter my title or duties I was able to persevere knowing through and through that I am an artist.

No comments: