Monday, December 24, 2007

What We Talk About When We Talk About Art

In the Art section of The New York Times, published: December 23, 2007, ROBERTA SMITH discusses "What We Talk About When We Talk About Art '. I immediately smiled at the familiar thoughts of pretentious language but realized the writer is aiming at a more elevated point of discussion. The article also touches on one that I cringe in embarrassment of discussion or exposure. Just last week on the Today show a guest went through a list of the biggest regrets that women have spurring a mid life crisis or depression; EDUCATION tops it. When given a reason to excuse or justify that I AM an artist despite not having a masters degree I admit I feel a little better. When Roberta Roberts wrote in regard to the use of the coined word "studio practice";


"First off, there’s the implication that artists, like lawyers, doctors and
dentists, need a license to practice. Of course it could be said that too many
artists already feel the need for such a license: It’s called a master of fine
arts. But artists don’t need licenses or certificates or permission to do their
work. Their job description, if they have one, is to operate outside accepted
limits."


Yes indeed to operate outside accepted limits, my torch to hold up high and say haha I can do this without a degree. Furthermore she states
"Second is the implication that an artist, like a doctor, lawyer or dentist, is
trained to fix some external problem. It depersonalizes the urgency of art
making and gives it an aura of control, as if it is all planned out ahead of
time. Art rarely succeeds when it sets out to fix anything beyond the artist’s
own, subjective needs. If an artist’s work helps other people to fix
things within themselves or, more broadly, in society, though, so much the
better."
Here my memories went straight to the people who are filled with emotion when they resonate with the spiritual aspect of my skyscpaes. I never cease to be awed by the emotional connection some encounter when they see my work. As Mr. Rogers declared It is Sacred Space. I share my own subjective needs in my creations. It has never been so evident to me as I take time to reflect on my past work, particularly the skyscapes and the surreal pieces, that these have first met my needs, then those of others.

Thanks Roberta Smith for today this Christmas Eve I feel like a hero.

Artists turn whatever intangibles they use — including empty space, language
or human interaction — into a kind of material. They mess with things,
making them newly palpable and in the process opening our eyes.

Merry Christmas to all and a healthy, prosperous New Year !!



Here is a link for you to read her article

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/23/arts/design/23smit.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

No comments: