Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Aesthetic Grounds fan

I thrive on the Arts Journal and today read Aesthetic Grounds Public Art, Public Space blog. A relevant article for me with sounds of NY Times Square still thumping through my veins. Glenn Weiss the author will be creating a consistent public art program for the Times Square Alliance. I am excited to see what he does. He comments "the New York art world believes that explanation apparently degrades the artwork." I have heard that too, and think it could be that mystery is gravitational and avant garde. He has quite a job to do as he says here,
"So my new work takes me straight to conflict between the instinct for ambiguous
poetic connotations of art and the directive for the clear targets of
advertising."

He is a great writer and have fun exploring his blog further, look at that knitting in Yellow Springs Ohio!

3 comments:

JafaBrit's Art said...

I often hear that argument about art and not explaining it, seems rather an elitist attitude to me as well as a contradiction. I say a contradiction because artists are forever being told they should write about their work (especially for exhibits including, one's in New York).

I think it depends on the intent of the artist how much they explain, but I certainly don't agree with the notion that it degrades a work.
Many people love hearing a backstory and it enriches the experience for them. Many people don't care or don't want to be told how to interpret the image.

anyway, thought I would pop in and comment since you mention my knitting :)

Visual Artist said...

The story revealed behind the art provides such a powerful connection. Yes I agree with you elitist is an aspect of that scenario. I love your knittting projets!

JafaBrit's Art said...

thanks.

I am reading eat pray love at the moment. Her writing is wonderful and so funny I burst out laughing when reading (which makes my husband go what! what! )