Sunday, May 18, 2008

Elizabeth and Dale Carnegie

Dale Carnegie discusses the merits of sincere compliments in his book "How to Win Friends and Influence People" which I began reading on the flight to Florida from Connecticut (not sure which to call home). I returned as from all travels eager to read emails, sort mail, build lists, make art and get back to business. I received a newsletter from my friend Elizabeth, much prettier in her PDF but here is the part that touched my heart and affirms Dale Carnegie's words. I am looking forward to her show, details included for you too.

Portraits
I never considered myself a portrait artist. I know a great
portrait artist, I have had the pleasure of being able to call her a friend, and
even have had the opportunity work and show with her. Robin Maria Pedrero, does
beautiful portraits. http://www.gallery523.com
One day Robin said to me, "I
don’t know why you say you don’t paint portraits, I think what you do with
collage in capturing the light on a face is beautiful."
Recently I have been
thinking about what Robin has done for me with her compliment. I realize that my
portraits have come a long way in the past few years – and the reason? Practice.
I LOVE painting people, I love the human face and it’s individual character
as subject matter. The more portrait collages I do, they better results I get.
It took an outside compliment from someone as talented as Robin to make me
believe more in my own portrait work. Her encouragement and compliments
validated me and gave me the courage to work harder at thinking "outside the
box."
For my upcoming solo exhibition in Melbourne, I plan to bring quite a
few portraits. After all, it was my portrait titled "Sunny Side Up" (shown at
the top of this column) that won Best of Show at the 100% Pure Florida exhibit
last year.
Never underestimate yourself !
Paper Paintings Solo Show
Friday, June 6th 5:30-8:00 pm
Fifth Avenue Art Gallery
1470 Highland
Avenue
Melbourne, FL 32939
RECEPTION to be Friday evening June 6th 1470
Highland Ave, Melbourne, FL
Fifth Avenue Gallery is located in the Old Eau
Gallie section of Melbourne across from the Brevard Museum of Art and
Science.
http://www.fifthavenueartgallery.com/

No comments: