Thursday, May 08, 2008

Rambling

I just read the article Faux feminisim: Is comtemporary art paying too much attention to work that should be ignored?By Tom Lubbock Thursday, 8 May 2008 The Independent Arts and Architecture. It is funny how he starts off with purple hatters who by joining all of the red and purple groups totally miss the point of individuality in the poem, yet I can't knock 'em for daring to have some color and fun especially if breaking free of their norm. Although my only view of Lassnig the artist he discusses is from the photos included with the article, when I clicked through the images I am sure if I had looked in the mirror I would have seen my quizzical face followed by my trying to be in her thoughts and I giggled outloud.
I note Lubbock here "praising her for doing things ("depicting... inner
sensations") that painters have been doing for ages.
I mean, what was that guy called? It'll come back to me eventually. Pablo Something-or-other. "

Reminding me of how I often quote Picasso, "Artists are all thieves." Once I got over the initial defense in being named a thief I purely understood. In my study of artists and travels I adore those AH HA moments like when I was in Spain at the mosaics of Park Guell by Gaudi and suddenly saw what Dali saw and understood his inspiration. I'll have to make notes as I find these experiences increasing. Alyson Stanfield and Robert Genn advised recently in blogs or newsletters on continuing to be educated in art history. When I locate the exact articles I will include a link, sorry my friends. I believe it was Alyson who said how so often artists take claim to "unique" work and how the use of that word is so unfitting especially if an artist would have been aware of art history.

In reading more I came across "An Auction of New Chinese Art Leaves Disjointed Noses in Its Wake" by By DAVID BARBOZA Published: May 7, 2008 Art Section in New York Times It is amazing how at all levels there is deception, broken promises, misleading outcomes where the person responsible comments about the artists “They’re riding the wave”. Catching waves of PR is nice, yeah but sometimes even sugar can't cure a bitter lemonade. OK sour note or not, like Looney Tunes, That's all folks. I must paint.

No comments: