Saturday, June 14, 2008

Seeking Jewels

Seeking. Often, continuous seeking. I search and find a multitude of places, people and interesting things. I like how Melissa KojimaArtist in LA LA Land seeks "peculiar" things and shares them in her blog, http://melissakojima.blogspot.com/. I found her through a google alert that I set up which sends me email on subjects I select. She asked me
How did you find me? Please let me know what info I could provide to best
serve you.
I just watched a movie called "The Peaceful Warrior" where a main character's mission was "to serve" and found her inquiry interesting. Melissa, I am not sure but I am trying to expand my territory and if you know reputable galleries that would be a good fit with my artwork I would appreciate your recommendation.
She goes on to say
This is a beautiful pastel. How long have you been working with them? What made
you choose them over other mediums?

I began working with pastels out of necessity. Oil paint, my learned medium, was just too hazardous for me to use regularly in the house with my children. Pastels enabled me the freedom to stop and start with no brushes, turpentine or drying to consider. The medium also suits my impatience as it is direct and available instantaneously.

It wasn't until an interview by Kalene McCort where she brought forth memories of me sitting under a tree using chalk on a huge black board my parents had gotten from a closed down old school, that I remembered even using a pastel like medium. Pastel is not chalk. Chalk is limestone. Pastel is the purest pigment an artist can use. It is mixed with fillers and gum to make soft and hard sticks.

1 comment:

Melissa Kojima said...

Robin,

Wow. Thank you for your great post and reply. I'll see what I can do about being alert and aware of galleries which might take your art.

I just posted an art comepetition today that might interest you. It's at Sklark Gallery in West Hollywood. It's a competition for an established, mid-career artist. You media, pastels, would be eligible. Check it out and see what you think.

What you wrote about oils, I've heard from other artists too. Yes, oils can be messy and toxic. That was a worry of mine when I used them too. Acrylic is now my main media in which to paint. Thank you for letting me know.

Again, thank you for your thoughtful and interesting reply.

I was wondering what were the key words that Google alerted you about?

Best to you,
Melissa Kojima
Artist in LA LA Land