Friday, July 18, 2008

Mini Detours

I set up to photograph in natural light, it rained. In databasing images to prepare for our book and the SCC exhibition of Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson's and my work, the pc crawls. I change the primary scratch disk drive and ... you get the picture, mini detours.

Above is a piece of work that hung tapped to my wall as image #3 for a month tugging at me to resolve it. I continued with 4 and 5 today yet there are still issues. One of my personal struggles when I am not painting en plein air, with references but from memory or emotion.

I do not have a title for it either. I did not label the emails of some fans, one also named Robin who said they would be on my title test group and help me title works where I am stumped, so something like "The Magic Hour" or "Road less traveled" doesn't happen. Hint hint.

A perfect flawless ending to my day was the opening at Millenia Fine Art for my friend Josh Garrick's curation of "The Best & The Brightest” Works by Artists from the School of Visual Arts in New York City. (more in next post) A local budding artist there asked me about uncertainties in her artwork. She was encouraged when I shared my personal struggles, surprised that it happens at all levels. I listened to myself talk about a learning process, as part of what an artist goes through, and how struggles, mistakes and experiments help us to evolve in our work.

I have accumulated a few pieces through the years that don't make it through the passge that I just don't have the heart to throw away but I would not feel right to sell them at my market price. I am mulling over an idea on what to do with them.
Now that I am at the end of this post I've got it! "Mini Detour", the title for the above piece!

3 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

Hi Robin
What a great post! Thank you for sharing some of your process.
Have a great day!
Melissa

selcox said...

How about "Shimmer" for a title? The painting definitely has that quality!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

You got the hint! Thanks!