Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Pan Yuliang introduced by Jennifer Cody Epstein


Pan Yuliang's story and art recently came to life for me through the work of Jennifer Cody Epstein. She invested years in education and research, took the facts and wove a poignant tale, "The Painter from Shanghai." So moved by her book, her work of art, I wrote to tell her. Epstein graciously responded, and I am flattered that she took time to look at my "lovely" artwork. I reviewed this book on Facebook's visual bookshelf
Brilliant! A must read especially for other female artists like myself. I applaud
Epstein's ability to climb into the skin and mind of the artist Pan Yuliang with
such spot on observations. I identified with the artistic process of "The
Painter from Shanghai". Her strength in the midst of adversity and the catalysts
and character which drove her painting are woven in an epic tale. Epstein
explored the culture and era shaping the path of Yuliang. I underlined, wrote in
the book and sought Yuliang's work via google. I am inspired. Thank you
Jennifer.
Epstein is a former journalist (for Knight-Ridder, The Wall Street Journal and NBC, among others) Her next upcoming reading is at Stockbridge Booksellers Saturday, August 30, 2008, 7:00pm - 8:00pm @ 10 Elm Street, Stockbridge, MA
I invite other artists who have read the book to please comment. Also a note of caution due to the course of her life in prostitution there is very explicit content for young readers.

No comments: