Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Building layers and definition

Here's another peek at the progress with the portrait of Clare for all of you and especially Molly. When Elizabeth stopped by my studio she asked if I'd posted Clare on my blog yet because she really likes how this piece is turning out. I find the play of shadows and highlights in young Clare's skin a dynamic part of this pastel. I am also pleased with the pattern on her dress, it is striking yet not detracting from her. It is playful and pretty. All elements that came as a total package.
Tomorrow we will find out more on what Diana Moses Botkin has to share with us about hind sight being 20 20, or "What I know now and I wish I'd done years ago." Followed up with news of the opening reception coming up in Connecticut!

9 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
she is absolutely breath taking!
wow!
xo
melissa

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Wow! Thank you! Now comes the part of keeping the portrait that way. She is glowing in real life.

vickiandrandyrossart said...

Love how you are brave enough to show in-progress paintings. Commissions are difficult in that non-artists don't know all paintings have a 'teenager' phase when you don't know how they are going to turn out.
Your site is one of my favs, so I've passed along the "Brilliante Weblog" award to you, you can read more about it on my site. Enjoy.
Vickilou

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thank you Vickilou. I think I finished today. I will know after I have a day or two of distance from looking at the portrait. Thank you so much for the Brilliante Weblog award!

Manon Doyle said...

Beautiful Robin! I'm enjoying your posts so much!

Artbeat said...

Robin this is a gorgeous piece, the one medium I have not tried is pastel. Are you using dry or oil pastel. One of these fine days I am going to go out and purchase a set of dry pastels.

I have 4 wildlife pastel paintings in my private collection by artist Rob MacIntosh who made a name for himself in the US.

I love the detail with his pastels which I can't quite duplicate with oil and water color.

The details and shading on yours look just as good.

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

Robin, I can't wait to see this finished. I love her expression and I love the dress pattern. it is lovely but not distracting, just as you explained.

Peggi Habets said...

Beautiful!!! I love the way you have texture in the background and more defined graphic shapes in the shirt. Her expression is wonderful, so true to that age.

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased- and I love to see the progress...
Molly