Tuesday, September 16, 2008

A little "whine" and "cheese"

"Walking In" 9" x 9" pastel by Robin Maria Pedrero


It's nice when I get notes like this one;

Hi! Robin,
This morning Hal and I went to see your exhibit at Seminole
Community College. A great body of work!I love your use of red/blue
and purple.

My favorites: Glory of theWest - such intense desert colors
Many Miles - 'liked the white rays of light shining down on the
lowlands
Take the Yellow Road - 'liked the balance of the
landscape with in intense red/purple sky
Walking In
Wine Country - 'made me think of our travels in Italy

All in all ... a very good exhibit.

Thanks! Like Diana Moses Botkin said "It's wonderful to hear from people who are enjoying my work. " This week amidst mucho business I have been reflecting on the shared stories from the interviews with Gainor Roberts, Diana Moses Botkin and Peggi Habets. I enjoyed reading the feelings they shared about creating art, the secrets to their successes and how they deal with the not so pleasant aspects of our business like rejection. A few months ago I was rejected from a national exhibit. I struggled daily with it for at least a month lingering over three. Until I was a judge for a local exhibit bringing me back to the realities of the objective and random process. I shared my fragile state with a close artist friend who responded how she had also recently been rejected from a national exhibit. Then I shared with another close artist friend who gave me a similar response and some prayer. Next with another artist in an email who responded with encouragement and knew the place I was in from her own experience. And now that I have read Peggi's response to rejection here I am posting my bout with rejection publicly. Rejection happens and it doesn't feel good. As a volunteer for the AWS "Love Works" exhibit I was the person who emailed the "Thank you your work was not accepted" and "Congratulations" notices. I have been on the receiving end of both letters. I could empathize with all of the recipients. Art is personal and yes I have an art business but I try to remind myself of the Donald saying "It's not personal. It's Business".
This week I received a request from a journalist in Italy and I am being interviewed by him! Today I was invited to a hand picked exhibition! So a little "whine" then a little "cheese" to make me smile keeping it all in perspective.

6 comments:

Diana Moses Botkin said...

You've said it well, Robin.

BTW, this painting is beautiful! Good job... no... GREAT job.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Diana,

Thank you. I appreciate your comments on both accounts.

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
what a wonderul post. i love the whine and cheese. congratulations on your interview and new exhibition.
you are an inspiration in so many ways.
:) melissa

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Melissa,

Thank you. And back at cha with being an inspiration !

Peggi Habets said...

Great post, but even better painting. Beautiful.

Right now, I'm waiting to hear back as to whether I've been accepted with a broker. It's hard staying positive, yet knowing in the back of your mind you may have to prepare for rejection. I think the waiting may be harder than the rejection. At least with rejection you can move on.

Good luck with the interview! Look forward to reading (hearing?) it.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Peggi,

Yes true. It is more than staying optimistic as one waits. It's about not letting it seep in to our everyday moments.

Thank you, I am honored that you said "Walking In" is beautiful.