Thursday, September 25, 2008

Magical Metamorphasis



Metamorphosis is as central to art as it is to myth. When an artist transforms
his materials, he becomes a shaman. When an artist's materials are not
transformed, he remains a charlatan — and we are left with a mere field of
paint, not the "Sistine Ceiling"; a chunk of marble, not the "Pietà." With the
advent of collage in the 1890s, however, metamorphosis took on new meaning.
Invented by the Beggarstaffs (the British poster designers and brothers-in-law
James Pryde and William Nicholson), collage introduced appropriated objects and
cut-and-pasted materials into art's arena. But it was the Cubists — Picasso,
Braque, Schwitters, Gris — who, as Modern shamans, first transformed detritus
and ephemera into art.
The Magical From the Mundane By LANCE ESPLUND September 25, 2008 in the New York Sun

At a Portrait Society of America demo by master artist Jon Houghton he stated how it struck him that abstract artists may talk about illusion with paint however it is the artists who creates works closely representing reality that create the real illusions. "Abstract art is just about the paint." It fascinates me when thoughts like this empower me to persevere holding on to shared pearls of wisdom. When making the marks, pushing the paint, and sculpting out images whether within our genes or adopted, artists have a rich heritage from which to draw. Jeffrey Spalding now CEO and President for Glenbow Museum, Canada judged my work best of show with a "magical use of color" as Director of the Appleton Museum in Ocala Florida. I like that word "magical" in how it applies to my art. I like to play with various elements within my art. Here above I created a landscape and added more "magic" to it inspired by KLIMT and "Chalk, Paper, Scissors". In CPS, Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson and I shared images. We took each others image and flipped and copied it in our own medium. In that process I duplicated some of her collage papers' designs and really liked the outcome. The spiral is a common symbol used through history in Celtic art and cave art like the petroglyphs I saw near Sedona. I notice a pattern of wave like spirals in many pieces of my art. Some consider the spiral a symbol of the spiritual journey. It is also considered to represent the evolutionary process of learning and growing. Here intentionally adding spirals I was thinking of the wind and the air, of the space from one point to the next in past present and future. This is one of two pieces in this style. I feel in a split stance like da Vinci's symmetry of man with each foot in a different arena.


5 comments:

GailNHB said...

Not sure how you found me over at my blog, but I am glad you did. Thanks for your comment there. You are a very talented painter. I am impressed and moved by your color choices and by the landscapes. Makes me wanna go for a nice long walk and have a slow picnic with loved ones. Those mini paintings are fabulous. Wow!

Nancy Moskovitz said...

I heard David A Leffel, a Portrait Society Master, express those thoughts, and it has forever changed the way I look at abstract art. I think it's also in his book.

As I understand it, the contemporary painter paints..let's say a small yellow circle. That's exactly and realistically what it is... a painted small yellow circle.

So who is really the abstract painter? Who is really the realistic painter?

On the other hand, when a realistic painter paints a small yellow circle, it requires our abstract thought process to interpret the circle as anything from a fire fly to the sun, moon, or stars.

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

Robin, I am flattered by your use of the spiral as inspired by my collage medium! I use the spiral paper very much in skies and in water, representing the swirling movement of both. The other technique that is magical in this piece is the small bits or square shapes of random color. what are those? they feel like confetti to me or sparkles, which add to the feeling of magic and mystic. I really like it! And you know that someone with a Klimt image and signature tatooed on their leg, is lovin' that tie-in!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Nancy,

yes I enjoy that dialog, thank you for responding! Sounds like a book I need to have in hand.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Elizabeth,

The whole image is created using pastel. Some are luminous senneliers. I drew little squares to mimick layers and and reverberations of light, to look like sparkles and more of the air or space elements.

KLIMT Rocks!