Monday, September 15, 2008

SPOTLIGHT Peggi Habets Part I

Peggi Habets was recently nominated as Pittsburgh Center for the Arts "Emerging Artist of the Year 2008" and her work has been included in "Best of America: Watercolor Artists", Watercolor Magic magazine, Palette magazine, and the Portrait Society of America's The Art of The Portrait magazine. I personally love the depths of her palette and how she captures personalities in her work.
When I subscribed to Peggi's blog newsletters she offered a gift! My thought was how ingenious of her to market this way. I am so inspired by her methods that I would like to do something similar in the future. When I received the music themed note cards in the mail, even the envelope had a glowing portrait on it and I felt sprinkled in joy.

Robin :Peggi with so many accomplishments in your career what advice can you share about something you learned that you wish you had implemented earlier in your career?

Peggi: Great question to start off with. There are several things I would recommend to anyone seeking to make fine art a career. First of all, look at rejection as a learning opportunity not an obstacle. In other words, stop and evaluate why you might have been rejected and what, if anything, you would do differently next time--then move on. Everyone who enters competitions, vies for commissions, and tries to sell artwork, will ALL face rejection. Once I started to see rejection as just another tool for learning, a stepping stone so to speak, I was no longer afraid to take risks and move forward.

I have two folders: one for rejections and one for successes. When I feel frustrated with certain aspects of my career, I dive into my success folder and remind myself just how far I’ve come. On the other hand, when I start to feel too “big headed”, I take a look at my rejections to remind myself of where I still need to go.

How many times have you heard this? “I’m an artist; I just can’t be organized and disciplined.” It’s a mantra that I’ve heard over and over and it’s simply not true! Artists who want to create a career with their art need to realize that, although art is unique in many ways from other businesses, it is still a business. It requires much discipline, organization and hard work. However your brain is wired, you need to learn to be professional and organized. Of course, I’m not talking about those who love art making solely for the joy of making art. There are many people who aren’t concerned about making a career out of their art. To them I say, enjoy and continue!

Robin :What challenges do you seek in your art?

Peggi: Most of all, and I think this might be true for most artists, is the need to continually learn and grow in my art. I honestly don’t think there is a point when you can sit back and say “Ahh, now I’ve made it. I’m at the top of my game.” When you do that, you become comfortable and predictable.

Being able to balance different areas in my life is not so much a challenge I seek, but a challenge I seek to solve. Most of us have obligations other than our art. For me, my family is my top priority. I have learned to accept the fact that, for now, I need to split my time. I have regular studio hours, 8 a.m. – 12 p.m. and I try to use that time for creating only. Everything else, including family obligations, are taken care of outside of that time frame. I believe that if you carve out your studio time first, the rest will fall into place.

3 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
what a wonderful post and interview. peggi is an amazing artist and savvy business woman. i am so inspired by her work and her sharing of knowledge and insight.
:) melissa

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Yes Melissa she is inspirational.

Diana Moses Botkin said...

What good comments you got from her. I esp. like the idea of the two files, although the one to reduce head size seems unnecessary.