Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Creating a Vibrant Landscape via Poolside

Honestly this was Max's idea to be outside but my angel of a dog gives good guidance. I began with this intensely dramatic yellow that resonates from shoulder to shoulder across my collarbone. Go with it. I feel the wind and sweep purples across the sky. And the blue, my blue, although it is air I am grounded by it, or better said the blue of the sky is comforting like warm potatoes in your belly. The light effects all it touches as seen in the reflection in the water and the glistening grass shards of yellows, golds, and greens. Far off on the horizon are trees on a narrow mass of land. All created in my backyard. Often people who do not make art ask bewildered as to what it is like, this post explores my feelings during an expressionist landscape in progress. If you do make art, doesn't it feel good to do so?

7 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
oh what a beautiful painting. you are so talented at expressing yourself on so many levels. thank you for sharing your experiences and insights.
:)
melissa

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thanks Melissa!

bwphoto said...

Can't imagine not making art! Your comment about people wondering what it is like reminds of a design class I taught, the initial part of the class was aimed at teaching people to see since you need to see in order to design. Anyway, I used the upside down drawing exercise in Drawing on the Right Side of The Brain.

I'll never forget the expressions of awe and amazement when the turned their drawings right side up. that was the beginning of my crusade to show everybody they could create art and most importantly they could CREATE.

I love your description of working outside...there is something renewing about it. Dogs have a way of teaching us trust and uncovering parts of ourselves we have been hiding.

I am anxious to see this piece when it is done!

Arija said...

That looks like so much fun I'll have to get my paints out. Lately I've concentrated more on photography and poetry, but maybe it's time to go back to painting.
Yours has been an inspiration.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Arija,

I am delighted you feel inspired! It is one of my goals to inspire others to create. Thank you for sharing how my post and work influenced you.

Manon Doyle said...

What a wonderful way to paint!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thanks Manon. I am finding this way of painting from within truly suits me. It has taken me eons to get to this place. Working en plein air or from references is a prerequisite to my process.