Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Harvest Moon and Birds

"Harvest Moon" howls to the autumnal season. Residing in Florida the cool autumn brings songs from the northern birds who have come south. My autumn experience in Florida is mixed with emotions as I desire the colored leaves I grew up with but relish in the cooler days warmed by the southern sun. Wildlife is very active. The geese are honking. There is a bald eagle at the end of my street. This week on an overcast day the hawks' whistling cries and the vultures' hissing could be heard through my open studio windows. Look at three of them in one pine outback. (click on pic to see larger)

Growing up when I had a newspaper route many mornings would look like the scene I depicted in pastel above. Crows would follow me. I would recite Poe in my head and caw back at them. I figured we had the kinship of birds being a Robin. I created a series of bird silhouettes on suede mat board or black mat board. I recycled clothes to create the birds. Yes it is going GREEN and I just dearly wanted to use the fabrics. The large ones are 20" x 18". I hang them using fishing line so they seem to be in flight. The series will be available soon at my ETSY store.




Top photo:Pastel Society Signature member Robin Maria Pedrero created "Harvest Moon," an 18" x 20" pastel which is matted in greyish white and framed in black to a 28" x 30".

6 comments:

Paula Villanova said...

Your bird silhouette is beautiful and very creative. I also love your "Harvest Moon" pastel. It reminds me of how autumn evenings feel up here in the northeast as well.

Manon Doyle said...

The "Harvest Moon' pastel is lovely. Early fall is so beautiful but I'd rather be in Florida at this time of year....LOL! The crows are fabulous Robin! Very cool to use recycled fabrics!

ceevee said...

As always I love your work. When you use pastels what kind? Do you spritz the finished piece with some kind of protectant? Curious minds....

ceevee

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Ceevee,

Thank you. I have been working in pastels for over 20 years thus developing a collection and preferences for certain brands and more specifically certain colors of particular brands. I could use a new set of Senneliers right now. I also like nupastels, unisons, schminke, carbothello pencils, drewent pencils and charcoal. Spraying is a tool I use to darken. I add to my framer's frustrations as rarely spray finished work.

ArtSnark said...

Love the ambiance of Harvest Moon & the bird silhouette is simply fabulous!

Jala Pfaff said...

Very cool pastel, it reminds me of an Edvard Munch.