Sunday, October 26, 2008

Marketing Type Team

Quite often I am asked by emerging artists "How do you do it?" "It" usually being the business side of my art. Most recently my first answer is "I have an Art Biz Coach. You can have one too. Subscribe to Alyson Stanfield's newsletter and do everything she says." I encourage the use of social media networking. I state how more than 50% of my time goes to marketing. My marketing attitude is part of my personality. I go at it non stop, persevering, striving for success. In reading one of my favorite blogs Lisa Call talked about types. I took the Meyers-Briggs tests a few years ago. And mirror Lisa's results
"Which explains all of my planning and list making skills. And my geek side. My
natural preference is to be organized and efficient which amplifies my
energy as I rarely waste much of it:
INTJs are ambitious, self-confident, deliberate, long-range thinkers. They dislike messiness and inefficiency, and anything that is muddled or unclear. They value clarity and efficiency, and will put enormous amounts of energy and time into consolidating their insights into structured patterns.…INTJs have a tremendous amount of ability to accomplish great things. They have insight into the Big Picture, and are driven to synthesize their concepts into solid plans of action."
Art Marketing
I discuss marketing at my pastel demos. I have been offered paid positions to be an artist agent or to market an artist. I respond that I am not qualified. In my mind when my artwork is in NY Museums, and a household name then I might be qualified. But truly it is more than that, I need my energy for my business, which is my priority. I am however thinking about initiating something similar to what some friends of mine Carlynne Hershberger , Nancy Moskovitz, Kelli Money Huff, Lorna Effler, Peggy Watts and other artists in Ocala FL who joined to form their group "Out of hand Artists" . I have recently joined the Visual Artist Street Team where I come in as an Etsy shop novice and I am impressed by the art and businesses. I would like to build a group on the type of relationship that Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson and I have on our projects. It's more than two girls with long names, we share our skills and get "it"done with much success, each aptly taking care of responsibilities with high energy levels.
Do you have a business, artist team or art support system for marketing? What experiences can you share?

6 comments:

Julie Maner said...

I applaud everything you are doing! It really is all about the marketing...building relationships with your collectors...involving them in your process....engaging them in ways that mean something to them. Good for you!
-Julie
jmaner@fazzino.com
http://www.fazzino.com

ps...and i really like your art!

Lisa said...

Hi Robin! Another INTJ - we are a small minority. Not the smallest of the types but darn close.

Thanks for the link!

Manon Doyle said...

This is good info for me Robin. I've had Alyson Stanfield's name bookmarked for a while so when I'm finished this project I'll sign on. I definitely need to work on marketing!

Nancy Moskovitz said...

On behalf of OOHA and me......thanks much for the shout out. nancy

Kelli said...

Hi Robin,

Thanks for mentioning us. It made me go to your site which I haven't done in awhile and I enjoyed it a lot. You are doing so well.

Miss you,
Kelli

artbylmr said...

Thanks - I just signed up for Alyson's newsletter. You Rock!