Thursday, October 23, 2008

Mofongo in Maui?

Yesterday I finished this pastel on Canson Mi -Tientes! It has been tapped to my wall since July! I had over worked the whole piece and to my dismay lost the vibrancy and spontaneity as posted here shown in progress . I kept trying to hold on to the red which had been on the very highest point of the sky. The rocky hill started to look like mofongo, a garlic plantain dish. Yesterday I erased, and loaded more pastel to create the cloudy haze that was present over those hills in Maui. Then I tore the edges of the paper AFTER the piece was done. I just love that effect! Now I can't wait to see this piece with exposed edges on an off white mat in a chunky black frame.
PS. I have an ETSY shop and was invited to join a team called VAST which is the Visual Artists Street Team . I did my first post to the team blog today. http://vastgallery.blogspot.com/

5 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
i just love it and the torn edges are perfect!
xo
melissa

A Robin's Nest said...

I absolutely love this piece Robin! It is gorgeous with the torn edges!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thanks! The torn edges change the whole piece. I like this technique too!

Smoky Glow Studios said...

How interesting! the July work in progress and then this one. They are both so different and there are many points of interest, so wonderful, you could even turn the pieces sideways or upsidedown- all the different directions of your layers- soil level, mound, rocky hill, mid sky, high sky- makes for a very dimensional abstract. I love seeing works in progress. Your work has really caught my attention.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Smoky Glow,

Your shared observations and response gives me a lot of insight. The abstract patterns and geometric design is something I am trying to emphasis in my new pieces. I am aiming for less detail and more expression