Thursday, October 09, 2008

Transformation amidst the struggles of life

I have five very different pieces in this exhibit;"Love Works;Satisfaction" and "Love Child" two mixed media pieces, "Crimson Haze" a skyscape giclee, "Morning Toast" a pastel about serving and being served, and "Mysterious without Explanation" a nephelococcygia filled piece. This term is used when people find familiar objects within cloud shapes. At one time or another, humans have looked up to the clouds and imagined shapes resembling familiar objects. The earth's atmosphere and the system of the weather are complex and self-organizing. The sky itself is transient, permanent and fleeting, and transfixed all at the same time. Nephelococcygia was first coined in the play The Birds written in 414 B.C. by the Greek comic poet Aristophanes. Pisthetairos (which can be translated to mean "Mr. Trusting") and Euelpides (which can be translated to mean "Mr. Hopeful") with the help of Tereus, tired of the Earth and Olympus, decide to erect a perfect city between the clouds, to be named Cloud-Cuckoo-Land (Νεφελοκοκκυγία -- Nephelokokkygia). Finding faces, objects and animal images in other things like wood, trees, fabric, and clouds is part of the creativity I utilize in my work. This started in my childhood and is part of my daily life in how I see things. Becky Mushko gives you a few natural items to expand your imagination in Peevish Pen:Autumn Wood Critters.

5 comments:

Pine Pod Farm said...

My Mom used to enter her artwork in exhibits too and she has illustrated for Christian books too.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Oh you must be so proud! That is wonderful!

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
i love how many wonderful shows and exhibits you are in!
xo
melissa

Mari said...

just one word... amazing

Gainor said...

I thought my life was running too fast but I wonder about how you keep up with everything you do! Congratulations on all your successes! I am constantly inspired and goaded into action by your power of example as a woman and as an artist. Incidentally, I did answer your question about casein on my blog.

I hope to run into you sometime this year!

cheers...G