Friday, November 21, 2008

Embossing and pastel

Here is an art section of my new fun technique. I am so excited about embossing and pastel. I have long wanted to achieve patterns, pictograph, petroglyph like images as seen in cave art, but modernized. I have sought to mimic other mediums like the patterned fabrics which show through in silk painting. Phyllis Thomas, my friend and artist creates wonderful mixed media pieces. I asked her how she achieved the leaf effect in "Even a sparrow has found a home"shown below. She shared how she made the leaves and embossed them.

I experimented embossing both sides of the canson mi-tientes paper. I pasteled first, embossed then mixed it up, embossing, pasteling back and forth to see the different results. I felt like a kid again. I hadn't done embossing since I was a child except for the Barbie fashion templates when the girls were little. To experience the image better it needs to be seen up close so click on the image to see it larger.

4 comments:

phyl said...

Robin,

I've been waiting and waiting to see this! It looks very organic and I can't wait to see it in person as the photo doesn't show the texture well. Congratulations for staying on the edge and trying new techniques.

Manon Doyle said...

Very cool Robin! I love to experiment with techniques.... that way you never get bored! I agree with Phyl in that I'm sure the picture doesn't do it justice.

Peggi Habets said...

Love that technique. It adds so much dimension and richn ess to the piece.

La Belle Savage jewelry design said...

thankyou, coming from such an amazing artist... I am truly honored!