Tuesday, November 11, 2008

The greatest day of your life

"The greatest day of your life ..." starts the new book titled "5". My daughter excitedly showed me her copy purchased from the Starbucks she works at here in Florida. It is a Starbucks exclusive. One of those journal, quote filled, inspirational, make you think and set out to do the work to make it happen kinda books. It is a goal book. Exactly what I need this month as I reflect on my goal list from February. 2009 is almost here. I see I have some unfulfilled goals to consider carrying over or adjusting.

1. Exhibit in 3 out of state galleries
Celebrations Gallery Pomfret, Connecticut
Galeria TonantzinSan Juan Bautista, CA

Art House, Atlanta, Ga.
2. Broaden advertising to national
I did not purchase any print hard copy advertising this year. Through Picture -That Gallery in Stamford Ct. my work was published in Unity Magazine sponsored by Thompson Hospitality.
3. Exhibit at college or university
Seminole Community College Gallery
4. Increase web traffic via blogging, forms etc
YES
5. Get a Studio
YES
6. Exhibit throughout southeast
YES...well in Florida still working on SC, GA, TN, AL, NC, VA, WV...
7. Create pieces for project with Davey Jordan and Heather Henson
Done!
8. Enter 3 competitions
Exceeded and succeeded
9. Apply for artist residencies
I applied for 1
10. Attend workshops
Nothing formal only demos
12. Create more oil paintings
YES
13. Life painting
YES
14. Organize
YES
15. Keep up with Working Artist, Quicken, Database, and Mailings.
Overall yes, but not consistent enough with some
16. Seasonal hard copy Newsletter
Only printed one, noting it was a large expense and many prefer the greener better for my overhead method of online availability. I did not follow through with seasonal but may scale down to one a year.

Hmm not so painful. I did notice a lack of sales oriented goals which I will need to create for 2009. Especially since I have several venues now; Etsy, 1000 markets, cafe press, lulu...brick and mortar galleries. Time to make lists from books like Alyson Stanfield's "I'd rather be in the studio" and fill in my new "5" book. Like my basket of apples above... one at a time....looking at the big picture.
Art above "Blushin' Granny Smiths" by Robin Maria Pedrero, Pastel Society of America signature member. Created using soft pastel on canson mi- tientes. Located in downtown Orlando Florida at The Desert Lady.

15 comments:

liza myers said...

These are great goals! I'm impressed with the thoroughness and with your accomplishments! And inspired! You go girl!

Manon Doyle said...

I'll have to pick this book up! Awesome goals!!
Love the painting and green apples are my favorite!

Paula Villanova said...

Sounds like a successful year to me! (And you left out one very important accomplishment: Inspiring others!) I have been subscribing to Alyson Stanfield's e-newsletters thanks ro your blog and have been enjoying them. Love your blog.

Manon Doyle said...

Hey Robin,

I picked up "5" today! I'm heading out to AZ tonight so I'm going to get into it on the plane. Thanks for the recommendation!

-manon

Deborah Ross said...

I love your apples, and thank you for reminding me that I need to write down my goals, not let them slip around in my head, and also for reminding me that marketing my work is an ongoing deal.

Megan Wolfe said...

That's awesome! Congrats on all the progress!!

I need to make a monthly goal list. :) Yearly lists just don't quite kick me in the rear as much as it should. ;)

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Megan,

I do make a lot of lists but you have a good point of breaking them down. I am going to get a little more technical with my list making and do that, thanks!

Alyson B. Stanfield said...

Robin, congratulations on all of your progress. But, hey, I'm going to call you on something. What kind of a goal is "create more oil paintings"? That could be just one painting. I want a number. And what did you organize? Everything in your life?

I'm going to assume that on your REAL list, you were more specific than the one here. That you just abbreviated it here for us, right? :)

Goals: Measurable, Challenging, Specific, and with a Deadline. Otherwise, they're good ideas. I kind of agree with Megan: I like monthly goals, but in addition to the yearly ones.

Paula: Thanks for being a subscriber!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Alyson,

Yes you are correct, I did not fully disclose my detailed goals. I actually hesitated the first time I posted them in Feb.in my early blogging days. =) Now I am more comfortable "exposed" in the public eye of my blog. The "organize" list actually breaks down the most in my personal list. We artists KEEP so much STUFF; Creating supplies, inspiration, packaging, framing, grant and gallery package items ... the list is long. However my only deadline for every goal was December 08! The yearly goals will need to break down monthly. The oil painting goal was vague, parallel to weighing the toxicity of working regularly with the medium regarding health issues. Yes, I am nodding in agreement, I do need a specific number on all items. That is such good advice. I am so encouraged that you responded to my goal list outcome. I can't wait to dig in to create my 09 list following your outline " Goals: Measurable, Challenging, Specific, and with a Deadline."

THANK YOU! I appreciate you!

Robin

Femin Susan said...

hey i thought that apple in the basket was real.it looks excellent.

Femin Susan said...

and many many thanks for visiting my blog and for following it.

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Femin Susan,

One of the funniest aspects of that basket is that the apples are actually fake. I worked with another artist who provided this image and I kept wondering why her apples were so shiny, midway through she shared the apples are fake. LOL

Elspeth said...

I love the apples, really beautiful work!

Marian Fortunati said...

Wonderful blog piece!! With so many artist advisors (notably Alyson!!) talking about goals... Seeing yours helps me think about what possibilities might be....
THANKS so much!!
I never go to Starbucks, but it might be a fun purchase!

Marian Fortunati said...

PS.. I got so wrapped up in talking about those goals that I forgot to say how lovely your basket of apples is!!