Friday, November 28, 2008

Spirit of giving and receiving


What is left from my art of yesterday is in the fridge and in the hearts that were warmed in coming together in my home for Thanksgiving. It is the crack of dawn and I can hear the interstate hum guessing that many are out shopping. I am an odd bird who rarely enjoys going shopping. When it comes to shopping , like 007 I plan a mission and execute it. BTW, the new movie had no Bond gadgets, what's up with that!? Oddly I am having way too much fun exploring 1000 markets and Etsy for gifts. Gift buying with a specific list from the intended receiver can be easy yet I like the feeling of finding something you think will bring someone joy and surprise them. Studies have found that giving gifts is a surprisingly complex and important part of human interaction, helping to define relationships and strengthen bonds with family and friends. In giving gifts psychologists say it is often the giver, rather than the recipient, who reaps the biggest psychological gains from a gift. It is also important to not leave yourself out of receiving a gift. I am guilty of doing this in the past. I think I inherited the behavior from my mother. Harvard psychologist Ellen Langer stated, “If I don’t let you give me a gift, then I’m not encouraging you to think about me and think about things I like. I am preventing you from experiencing the joy of engaging in all those activities. You do people a disservice by not giving them the gift of giving.”
I am pausing now to think on this. How can I make a difference? What can I do through my art business to build relationships and spread joy? Is offering gift certificates and a wish list enough?
More thoughts run through my mind from one of my favorite childhood books of when the
Grinche's heart grew three sizes and he was overcome with the spirit of gift giving.
Above is "American Indian Woman" by Robin Maria Pedrero, in private collection

5 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

good morning robin
what a wonderful post. i am like that too. i love giving gifts, but i often hear myself say to family and friends not to get me anything. :) i am going to stop doing that because you are right it takes the joy away from them, that i feel when i give them a gift. i never thought of it that way before.
xo
melissa

Manon Doyle said...

Hi Robin!
I love the painting! ( I'm third generation Native American Indian so this painting speaks to me).
I really wanted to make all my gifts this year but I couldn't find the time. I do think that giving someone something that is thought out is so very special. Very good post...... it really makes you think about giving and receiving.
I've also been thinking about making a difference .... I think it happens as we get older....lol!

Julie-ann said...

Your post as spoken to me also. I tell my children and friends, all the time not to get me anything.Why do we do this? Like we don't want them to think about us. Do we feel we don't deserve gifts? Deaper meaning! Thinking I will say thankyou next time instead og don't bother about me. I am pushing people away and never realised it. Thank you for sharing this.
The bird painting will be going on Ebay tomorrow. I have painted some more also to go with a theme. Thank you for asking.

Dominic Philibert said...

Wonderful art!
Love the native!
Nice painting!

Gigi said...

I am trying to make gifts from the heart this season. I am going to bake, make mini art books and add a candle with each gift. The candle signifies light, love and peace for the New Year in a world full of uncertainty.
I wish we could go back to a simpler time when people cared more about each other than material things as I mentioned in my blog post on my site.
Love and peace to you.
Ginny :)
xoxo