Thursday, January 22, 2009

Acrylic Art

Sneak peek at one of twelve pieces I am working on. This is a smaller one, an 8" x 10" acrylic. I am surprised at how I am enjoying this medium. I found the quick drying time challenging at first as I was working the process like oil but when I adjusted my technique I rather relished it. I tend to like to keep on working, without waiting, which is one reason that the immediacy of pastel has always suited my character. I say this is a new medium only having created a handful of acrylic pieces, in particular three large ones that were in Chalk Paper Scissors. Two of which are at the Dessert Lady in downtown Orlando, the cupcake is in a private collection. The glazing is comparative to some of my pastel techniques. Just as with the pastel on paper I find I do not like the pattern of the canvas to show through. I had gessoed the canvases but still not enough texture change to my liking so I sporadicly used some molding medium adding a different texture. When working on wood the opposite is true, I prefer to see the grain. While working I used one glove on my right hand, though my left hand got colorful from my palette and moving pieces while working on several simultaneously. I painted with brushes and directly with my gloved hand, paint against canvas. I just couldn't help it! I am quite excited about these new landscapes in acrylic. These are expressionistic landscapes, capturing my deep connection to nature. I find nature to be a haven. I am filled with a range of emotions and energy in the midst of nature. Can you tell?

7 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
it is absloutely gorgeous! i love reading your blog. it is filled with so much passion and excitement. you are so inspiring!
xo
melissa

linda blondheim said...

Great job on the acrylics Robin.
Love,
Linda

Ronnie said...

Love your contrasts. The orange is beautiful.
A lot of benefits using acrylics!
Nice to have a peek into another artists thought process.

Arija said...

Robin that is a lovely work. At art school back in historical times, we used to sketch the painting in Acrylic, then overpaint in oil if we wanted to. It works very well, giving you the immediacy of the one,as well as the subtlety of the other.

Marionette said...

Robin,
It's so wonderful to see your acrylic in progress! I love acrylics too and could never get the hang of oils (I like to work fast too). Plus, I don't care for the smell of turpentine and I actually break out from it. I often "finger paint" portions of my acrylics too! I also do a lot of sponging with a natural sea sponge. Your colors are gorgeous! Thanks again for sharing!

Aloha and Hugs,
Marionette

Kathleen Coy said...

Beautiful colors, and I love the texture too.

Manon Doyle said...

Gorgeous work! I love acrylics Robin! I hate waiting for anything to dry so it's perfect for me. I'm glad you've embraced this... lol! I don't think it would matter what medium you used because you're so talented!!