Monday, January 26, 2009

Red Envelope


In the spirit of the Chinese New Year I present my Red Envelope,
"Nude with apple".
Available at my 1000 Markets shop.



The Chinese year 4707 begins on Jan. 26, 2009. Chinese months are marked by the lunar calendar, with each month beginning on the darkest day. New Year's festivities start on the first day of the month and continue to the fifteenth, when the moon is brightest. It is traditionally said that those born in ox years tend to be painters, engineers, and architects. In case you are wondering in Chinese birth years I am a Wood Dragon, & President Barack Obama is an Ox. I read that the Chinese find this system extremely practical. A child does not have to learn a new answer to the question, "How old are you?" in each year and also that old people often lose track of their age in China, because they are rarely asked about their present age. Everyone just has to remember that he or she was born in the "Year of the ____." I found an interesting post, Stories from China on birthday celebrations there. I was present in San Francisco for New Years Celebration a few years ago. It was filled with a parade of dancing dragons, music, fireworks and many red envelopes.

10 comments:

Ana Tirolese said...

Thank you for such an interesting post. I learned a lot.

Manon Doyle said...

That was a great post! I like the idea of telling people that I was born in the year of the ____ instead of my age.......lol!
The painting is wonderful!

Kathleen Coy said...

This is lovely.
Kathleen, born in the year of the Sheep. ;-)

Simon said...

Sigh.
Ang Pao - red envelopes.
I used to get them when I was a kid in Singapore.
How things change.

amypalko said...

Oh, I just love that Red Envelope. Just stunning!
Amy
xx

Helen Harris said...

love this post...
btw: I am a Water-Dragon
The Water Dragon - democratic, dedicated, unrestrained, motivated by negotiation and is also dependable.

The Water Dragon Years
27 Jan 1952 to 13 Feb 1953

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
waht a great post! i always learn so much from you everytime i visit!
:) melissa

Michelle Burnett said...

Hi Robin!

The "nude with apple" is absolutely beautiful! I' born the year of the rooster....apparently that means I'm cocky and like to strut my stuff! ;)

Abby Creek Art said...

That's a beautiful piece, Robin...and the red makes it even more interesting.

We can use a Year of the Ox!:)

Kathleen Coy said...

Oh, and I left you a blog award at my blog if you want to come pick it up. :-)