Monday, February 16, 2009

Charleston South Carolina

Valentine's Day weekend in Charleston South Carolina was more than charming! Here's a handful of some highlights on my trip amidst the numerous art, food, entertainment and historical establishments.




Lowcountry Painter Susan Trott
Braving the drizzle at Battery Park solo at a COPA(Charleston Outdoor Painters) destination.



This basket weaver's shop caught my artist's eye for pattern in The Market which was once a place where slaves were traded. Slaves may not openly be traded in America any longer yet this is still happening in our world today. I feel so strongly about making a difference that one of my charities is the International Justice Mission who fight against Human trafficking. BTW Have you seen the movie Taken?


At The Market I met artist Nina Uccello whose whimsical art caught my heart. She herself is delightful, I felt a bond with her and so of course I had to have a piece of her art. I bought this print which brings me joy! (the original was unavailable)

There's a few lessons in that story.

I also bought photography from Norm Lambert. In memory of my trip a rod iron heart in front of a red door with the number 8.




I explored the Gibbes Museum of Art (use this link) I can't say enough about that fabulous museum! A wonderful mix of historical and contemporary art in a wide array of mediums which included woman artists! As a former board member for the National Women's Caucus for Art I uphold the goals for equality which have been fought for by our predecessors throughout history. I wish to recognize and thank the executive diredtor and chief curator Angela D. Mack and associate curator Sara C. Arnold on a masterpiece of a Museum! Works by artist Alice Ravenel Huger Smith repeatedly pulled me in for a close look.(and we thought our names were long huh Elizabeth?) I encourage you to explore their excellent site and invite you to dialogue.


See there's so much! Here are two of a number of college sailing teams going out to compete in a race we witnessed at the Yorktown at Patriots Point. We went to the beach, visited churches, cemeteries, historical sites, incredible architecure and the french quarter, gallery after gallery and here are two of my favorite restaurants. Tristan where I had the most phenomenal service of my entire life. If I could only replicate the divine food Chef Aaron prepared! On Valentine's Day we dined at Magnolia's which was out of this world!

5 comments:

Melissa and Emmitt said...

hi robin!
what a wonderful post and trip!
i love your new blog.
:) melissa

Watercolorist said...

You certainly had a fulfilling Valentine's weekend. Love the art you bought.
Jean

Sue said...

Sounds like a fabulous trip! How fun. There is so much good art energy in the world, it's going to make a difference.

Ronnie said...

Charleston is a jewel.
My huz is a grad of the Citadel. We visit for those crazy reunions, but I've never been to the Gibbes. I'll have to drag Joe in there next time!
Thanks for the great post.

Krys Pettit said...

Robin, I am so happy you experienced Charleston! It is truly a jewel and I hope you have time to explore and experience it even more -- and the Gibbes is one of my favorite regional museums. Go back often -- it is worth it :)