Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Steam

Fittingly titled "Steam" the 18" x 24" canvas is filled with acrylic and a little bit of pencil and pastel. I am looking for the right words to express the emotion I feel in this turning point in both aspects of creating and in the appearance of this work. Perhaps free? And contented. You can gain some perspective into my art world with a quick glance at some pieces circa 1990 - 2000 or some of my portraits. Detail oriented, realistic, even the skies and animals in Melting Pot depict a picturesque world. More recent landscapes have been a bit more expressive, and color saturated. Over the past year I have implemented more design elements into my new work. I have expanded into acrylic and mixed media to meet personal, and practical needs like ease of shipping and glassless framing. Drawn to cuisine and culinary presentations I have snapped pictures of food around the world since I was a teen. Last year I dramatically changed my lifestyle to mainly vegetarian. I find the colors and essence of the foods appealing, so much that I find myself drawing and painting plates, cups....breakfast, lunch and dinner. I do not feel a departure from my skies, landscapes and portraits. Stay tuned as I continue to capture what brings me joy. Thanks for joining me on my Visual Journey.

12 comments:

Linda Blondheim said...

Great job Robin.
Love,Linda

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thanks Linda!

Watercolorist said...

I love the way you abstracted the objects but one can still identify them. Nice use of color too. It all works as a whole.
Jean

TERI REES WANG said...

This has a wild collage and kaleidoscope effect.
You are a purer version of your former self, I am sure of it! Cleansing promotes clarity.

Manon Doyle said...

Oooh ... I love this Robin! I do feel the sense of freeing yourself in this painting. Mixed media has a way of doing this for me also. Great work!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Thanks Jean! Your observation means a lot to me. Teri, now that is very interesting......I am going to reflect on that comment perhaps even journal about it! Manon I am thrilled you like it!!

Maria-Thérèse said...

Wow - beautiful! This has such resonance to me. It's as if Cezanne and Kandinsky had a love child... um... or their paintings did, and they partied with Chagall. Please tell me you'll make prints and cards.

Ebb Tide said...

I am under the weather yesterday and today. Spending time visiting other artist blogs. This is a beautiful painting. Like you I am drawn to painting food. I find them appealing, Last year I had a solo art art show where I showed 13 oil paintings which depicted mostly parties, celebrations and food.

Abby Creek Art said...

This is a beautiful piece, Robin. It's very sensual and rich...and so interesting to look at. I could stare at this painting for a very long time!

Krys Pettit said...

This is very active and dynamic -- a lot of activity, very alive -- its layers mind me of a day in Robin's life -- constantly moving with color and light!

Paula Villanova said...

The first word that popped into my mind when I opened your blog was "powerful" regarding the use of color. Very effective and an interesting direction. Looking forward to seeing more on this creative journey!

Karen Faulkner said...

I love the juxtaposition of shapes and colors in this piece. Fabulous!