Thursday, December 23, 2010

How a Commission Works

 
Some people find it intimidating to talk to an artist. As if our genius is daunting, she says with a grin. Yes I understand there are some situations where one might not be sure how to approach.
No great genius has ever existed without some touch of madness.


Aristotle
True genius resides in the capacity for evaluation of uncertain, hazardous, and conflicting information.



Winston Churchill

Yet abandoning all risks some dare speak to us artists about commissions. It goes something like this:
Could you paint this for me? lol I am just having some fun here! But truly it can be that simple to begin with, then the artist comes back at you with lots of questions;
What medium?
What size?
When do you need it by?
What is the subject matter?
Any particular colors you would like to have in the piece?

And so forth until the concept is understood and agreed upon. We talk price and payment arrangements. Then a written agreement is made, describing the work, with a deadline for work, and payments. Deposits are typically taken before any work begins.

I am the type of artist who might provide the art collector with sneak peeks of the work in progress.

In my youth I depended on customer guidance in regard to several aspects in the work thinking that would be the best way to please the customer. However I have found I prefer to have artistic license and my work is better for it, so I have my clients give me a loose idea and I run with it. At the time of unveiling or approval via an emailed image I am willing to make slight adjustments, OR offer to do a completely new piece (which has only happened once).

In the famous words of the Looney Tunes pig  "Th-Th-Th-Th-Th-That's all, folks!".

Any questions?

The above piece is the image inspiration for a new commission......more on this to come

Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

Thanks for the info on the commissions. I always wondered about that and was too embarrassed to ask. Now I don't have to ask...unless I'm asking an artist to have something commissioned! ^_^

Kirsten said...

Happy holidays my wildly talented friend! I wish you happiness and success in the coming New Year!