Friday, January 14, 2011

Examination

As you may know I paint most often in a series. I am presently in the course of twelve 20 x 20"s, as well as 2 commissions and building work for 2 local exhibits. As I work I paint on the series, then step away for some distance. Physically. Sometimes minutes, hours, days, weeks or even months. I study the work while it is tacked to my wall in my studio.  I take my work outside and look pieces in the sunlight. Above are some blossoms on the fence. Literally. I study them. I use various distances, my camera, and various light, from sunlight to shade to indoor bulbs to daylight streaming through the room to "test" my work. Some piece are finished sooner than others and then sometimes a tweak here or there and five or more are done in a day. I mention this as I share work completed online and people comment assuming I finished 5 pieces from start to end in one day or one week, whereas these were started three months ago, working on them in increments, and I am glad several of this series are nearing closure.
portion close up....I've nothing but blossoms on a title yet....hmm think think think
Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

PoetessWug said...

They're beautiful!!...And flowers should take time and study. I mean, they cause all that happiness when you look at them! :-)

Aspiring Images By Rachel said...

That's really cool to hear more about the "behind the scenes" of your creative process. Thanks for sharing.