Thursday, February 17, 2011

"My Pretties" Poppy Makeover


I have been pulling together all of the potential pieces for the University Club exhibit and while doing so examining some pieces I made for another purpose. In my eyes some pieces needed more development or to go in a different direction. I have taken "My Pretties" shown here below and developed it more.

This painting as is just wasn't enough for me. So the first step I took was to glaze yellow ochre over the entire piece. Always a nerve wracking act, to change an entire piece. After you begin with a brave brush you just have to go for it. So when I woke up today the whole piece was glazed. Next I began to add more life.

Placing birds, branches and leaves, then a another bird and a butterfly...continuing till you see the work in the top piece. I've been working in the studio about 9 hours and have to stop to go to openings tonight. When I return I will study the work, and study it again in the morning.

Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

PoetessWug said...

It's very pretty!

Maria Soto Robbins said...

I love poppies in general and this piece is just lovely, Robin!

Anonymous said...

It is happiness!

Magpie said...

It is nice to see another artist posting their process!