Monday, October 03, 2011

Art Affirmations through Grief Work


In my morning prayer meditation I opened to a letter in the pink woman's devotional bible titled "Grief Work" where Mary Jane Worden's letter brought up feelings of empathy of my father's passing a few years ago as she shared the "unexpected waves of pain" she experienced even months after her husbands death. I thought eh this reading doesn't apply too much for me today but I read on and I received a perfectly wrapped gift with words of affirmation in response to my recent feelings of  doubt that emerge every once in awhile. Every so often I need to realize one of the many reasons why what I create has value and purpose beyond myself. I read..

 "I began to see patterns in my choices and a new principle about life began to take shape in my mind. The principle is this: beauty can bring about healing - rainbows, mountains, woolly lambs, fresh strawberries ...

Here I inserted ART, and more specifically for me, I placed my art..she goes on..

"These places and things were somehow soothing to my soul. I am convinced God has built into all of us, in varying degrees, the capacity for an appreciation of beauty, and has even allowed us the privilege of participating in the creation of beautiful things and beautiful places. I think it may be one way God brings healing to our brokenness, and a way that we can contribute toward bringing wholeness to our fallen world."


I am frequently affirmed by art collectors and fans who tell me how the presence or viewing of my art has enhanced their lives, with uplifting and healing feelings. There are numerous sites that share the healing power of art as one endures grief of all kinds, from loss, sickness, and depression. The healing can be in the experience of the art and also the making of art. I googled some sites to share and this one popped up "Healing Artwork - The Creativity Grief"  which embraces creativity in the healing process of grief.
"At the deepest level, the creative process and the healing process arise from a single source. When you are an artist, you are a healer; A wordless trust of the same mystery is the foundation of your work and its integrity."  Dr. Rachel Naomi Remen
Also very interesting that in my google search is my friend Melody Lea Lamb's blog post "Grief Courage - Art and Inspiration"  http://melodylamb.blogspot.com/2011/07/grief-courage-art-and-inspiration.html

The Hospice Foundation has a list of books covering the grieving process. Living With Grief, Who We Are and How We Grieve  
The new 8" x 8" painting above is an acrylic and india ink on canvas - still finalizing the title - thinking about "It's the little things" - those who collect my work know - if you ask me right away to purchase a piece I share before it gets listed in an online shop or installed at a venue - for instance (hint) like the above painting - you usually get a deal like free shipping and a collector discount.
GRATITUDE
Today I am especially grateful for those who write and create sharing their personal journey.

5 comments:

Melody Lea Lamb said...

Robin, as I've mentioned on Facebook and Twitter, your post was very powerful for me! Someone once told me that I was a "healer", and although the words seemed to "ring true" for me, I wasnt sure HOW I was a healer. Now I know! So, thank you.

Allison Reece said...

Wow, you gals, Robin and Melody never cease to amaze me. I love what you wrote Robin and that you were so open in your sharing. Same goes for you, Melody. I know we have all experienced such deep loses in our lives and our creative ways keeps us and others alive. Art helped me with the downpour of emotions when there was nowhere to go, but to eventually find a new life out of the dark place of grief.
Allison Reece/Artist
NC
Honoring: late husband, David (36yrs. old- July 12, 1999) Probation Officer II State of NC

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Melody - you are precious! It's so true!

Robin Maria Pedrero said...

Allison,
Dearest, thank you for sharing such intimate sorrow and how your art making created new life for you. Your work is wonderful. And we join you in honoring your late husband David.

Blessings to you and your family,

Robin

Shannon Grissom said...

This is beautiful. Thank you all for your heartfelt shares. Know that they make a difference.