Friday, January 06, 2012

The Depth of Darkness




Isn't that the job of the artist?..to take the risk,to work more deeply,to expose that which cannot be expressed any other way~Alison Mackie
My art collectors who are in a secret group where they are privileged to see some of my work prior to the rest of the world recently responded to the new work here in the center of this studio shot. Most noted the darkness, a few with apprehension as the darkness is in such contrast to much of my work yet they as a whole remarked on their love of the depth.

Whatever you do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius and power and magic in it. ~ Goethe
Painting is a place where I express my experiences, like a word picture, an emotive, symbolic communication, where I am often at a loss to express the full experience using words. The dark piece above is a response to physical pain, slowness, sickness, hardship, and the glimmer of hope, faith and beauty that shines through  like stained glass. 
 

The gestural line drawings on the black paint are created with pastel and paint, and the fresh delicateness brings me joy. I want to call this "Beauty Screams in the Darkness".

The other two pieces are in progress.

You can't make a perfect painting. We can see perfection in our minds. But we can't make a perfect painting. ~ Agnes Martin

1 comment:

golivas said...

Beautiful Robin! I love the dark! It IS different than your "usual" paintings, which are always so cheerful to me. Yes, somehow the dark does equal depth. Love it!