Friday, May 25, 2012

Who is the boss? Restraint in Paint

There are many voices that might go into a painting. The distant voices of our masters. The liberated child. The expressive, vibrant, professional artist. The fearful, questioning, analytical student. The thoughts an artist thinks a collector or gallery could be thinking.

"Coral Floral" 24" x 18" acrylic and charcoal by Robin Maria Pedrero


I went to an artist's talk at a museum recently where she expressed that she didn't care what other people thought, she didn't want feedback while she was painting or finished painting. My opinion after hearing her speak for an hour was that she cared, she just didn't want to be told what to do, like most of us.


I work in series, or a least several pieces at a time are in progress. Appearances could seem like I create nothing finished for a few weeks, then all of a sudden one or several are finished in a day. The above piece came quickly or should I say easily.... with a need, yes need, for those colors.... working over a few months, color, study, more paint, some drawing with charcoal and more paint. As I worked I shared in progress pics and one of my primo collectors snatched it up! "Primo Collectors" is the nick name, of my art collectors and patrons with several originals and or substantial investment in me as an artist. The collectors who use social network media are familiar with their title in this fine ever growing group. Unlike the aforementioned artist I on the other hand enjoy interacting with my collectors, they are precious to me.


I had a complementary piece to Coral Floral in the works, even though the other was sold I thought continuing with the theme would bode well  for my reproductions to have a pair. Enter a a morning of painting with the "voices" struggling with  layers of additions and removals. Indecisive. Feeling wasteful of precious paint. Resisting natural urges because of trying to make a "pair".


Yet another stage. Painted and removed.


After this long weekend I will be ready to go back in to the studio and say Who's the Boss? I am. And get this painting into shape. Stay tuned.


Thanks for sharing in my process and visual journey. - Robin

4 comments:

Maura Satchell a.k.a. @MoesseArtist said...

Robin,

These are beautiful works and I really love the energy in the colors. You definitely are the boss! Have a great week.

erinrichardson said...

Beautiful work! I'm amazed you like interacting with your collectors over your artwork - how does that happen? do you change the paintings to please them? or choose colours to please them? No, I couldn't imagine involving anyone else's opinion or desires in my artwork, otherwise I'd lose my vision & confidence in that vision - even the new commissions. Wow to you for doing this!

Robin Pedrero said...

Erin,
Hello! How are you today? I am glad you love my work.

I stated that I liked interacting with my collectors - which I truly do. How does that happen? I interact with my collectors in social network media, in galleries and at exhibits.

No, I do not take every comment, and adjust the art work, that would be pure craziness as you well know, and I did not intend for my statement to be perceived as such. I do however value the response from my collectors. I also take their stories and bring them to life in paint. This is a priceless encounter. I don't know how else to explain it until you have done this. I hear their story and they trust me to use my symbolic visual language to give life to it in paint. You asked if they choose colors - in commission pieces why of course, they are able to select main colors in the work to be created. My collectors are familiar with my work and usually already gravitate towards my color palette -for instance asking for a piece with similar colors to such and such but perhaps with a little "yellow". If they see a painting they like and desire different colors I can paint a completely new piece with their colors and a similar subject matter.

My history as an artist involves many years as a portrait artist, where I learned my boundaries between my artistic integrity and working with a collectors desires. There are such pleasant surprises in this special bond between me and my art collectors.

Andrea Stajan-Ferkul - @canvascloset said...

Hi Robin... I agree with your conclusion about the artist who spoke at the museum, that she really does care about what people think about her work, but doesn't want to be influenced by them. We all want our art to resonate with it's viewers, but not at the expense of our creative control. We are our own toughest critics anyway, and as you mentioned, we struggle while we paint, in that we question what to add, what not to / going through those stages that ultimately become a waste of valuable time and paint / and the constant inclination to paint for others and not for ourselves. When I experiment with something new and catch myself questioning my motives, I consciously remind myself that it's 'my' vision that viewers are attracted to, allowing me the confidence to trust my choices. Thanks for sharing your thoughts on this interesting subject; it's a great reminder to artists - to be your own boss.