Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Celebrate the Raven Published Jan 29, 1845

Edgar Allan Poe's famous poem "The Raven,"
was published on Jan 29, 1845 in the New York Evening Mirror. 


 I have many real life crow stories myself. I created this crow painting and decided to call him Edgar in honor of Edgar Allan Poe, yet quite opposite from "Once upon a midnight dreary" with vibrant colors yet a macabre look in his eye. I find it rather timely that Valentine's Day is on the horizon and he wrote of a broken heart telling " of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow fall into madness. The lover, often identified as being a student, is lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore." Like visual art his writing makes use of  folk and classical references  giving layers of depth , like a color filled background, and symbolic iconic subjects. You too can celebrate and have your own Edgar as I've made this image available here in my shop with many choices of sizes and surfaces. 
 
Perhaps I shall paint.... Lenore???? hmmm what inspires you in the world of love crows and Poe?

Bookmark and Share

1 comment:

Donna Frasca said...

I just love the way you layer color and design Robin. - simple yet precise.