Monday, March 04, 2013

How Inspiration Spirals Outward


The master artist Gustav Klimt has inspired artists for generations. Here is one of my new paintings in progress "Tea Party with Klimt". (hoping to have this completed for my Infusion Tea exhibit) I did not come up with this idea on my own - I was visiting with artist friends who are doing a project

 
where they are emulating a master artist's technique. Friends Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson and Kimberly Santini invited me to stay and paint as they worked on their project after we enjoyed some lunch, Wander Where the Wind Blows wine, and divine chocolate cake.
Photo by @Douglas Nelson Photography 
 Under the influence.... of their project  I eventually Klimted (I made up this word and I like it) my Tea Party painting. I am loving it!!! I met Elizabeth years ago while she was in an exhibit at Gallery on First where my studio was,  I noticed we had similarities in how we approached color and I was glad to meet her when she came in to pick up her work. I met Kim on twitter years ago and then small world, found her and Elizabeth had become friends via blogging. Too much fun!
Photography by Douglas Nelson

So of course all of us shared our fun online and one of my beloved  art collectors and someone I've been mentoring for several years Cindy Koch shared that my Klimted Tea Party  influenced her new painting. Cindy is an new artist, she calls herself "a grasshopper in the world of art, learning from the masters." Cindy, a long time art collector and new painter incorporates some of my symbolic visual language into her pieces. I am quite flattered that she loves my artwork so very much. I am also so delighted to watch her grow and develop her own visual language and symbols especially when she has commissions where she really has to provide distinct original symbolism for each customer. Here's Cindy's "La Olla" incorporating several influences.

La Olla by Cindy Koch

 
Bookmark and Share

15 comments:

Janet Bocciardi said...

I love your new painting! He's one of my favorite painters and I can see his influence, but it's a Pedrero painting for sure!

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

your piece truly transformed and is amazing! totally something wonderful and I'm happy to say that I saw you start it in my studio! Thanks for joining us, and the Klimt challenge. Thanks for taking the time and effort to come up here and spend the day with us. We truly appreciated that you gave us so much of your day. What a treat!

Elizabeth St. Hilaire Nelson said...

OH and PS, you can read my account here:
http://elizabethsthilairenelson.blogspot.com/2013/03/life-is-truly-journey.html

Kimberly Santini said...

I LOVE how your painting came out - it's wonderful! Thanks again for sharing your afternoon - and wine - with us!! <3

Lisa Graham Art said...

If I ever were to be tempted to stop social networking, it is stories like this that would make me reconsider. Love your tea painting! I see Klimt's influence, but yet it is your own too.

RedPhillip said...

Great post! I may have to try Klimting a weaving project (I can sorta see it in my head right now), and it will be one more in the chain of influences and inspiration y'all have set in motion. Thanks!

Phillip Allen said...

Great post! I may have to try Klimting a weaving project (I can sorta see it in my head right now), and it will be one more in the chain of influences and inspiration y'all have set in motion. Thanks!

Phillip Allen said...

Great post! I may have to try Klimting a weaving project (I can sorta see it in my head right now), and it will be one more in the chain of influences and inspiration y'all have set in motion. Thanks!

Cynthia Koch said...

Your painting is exquisite and truly a Pedrero piece. You made my day by mentioning me in your blog. I bow to you great Master. I am hoping your Central California workshop is transforming. To learn from you in person would be on the top of my bucket list. I love you tremendously!

Cynthia Koch said...

Your painting is exquisite and truly a Pedrero piece. You made my day by mentioning me in your blog. I bow to you great Master. I am hoping your Central California workshop is transforming. To learn from you in person would be on the top of my bucket list. I love you tremendously!

Cynthia Koch said...

Your piece is exquisite. Truly a Pedrerolicious creation. You made my day by mentioning me in your blog. I bow down to you great Master. I am hoping your Central California workshop is forthcoming -- to learn from you in person would be on the top of my bucket list of goals to accomplish. I love your art, your friendship and the giving person you continue to be. Thank you.

Robin Pedrero said...

Cindy - Oh you and your coined word Pedrerolicious Thank you sweetheart!!! We really do need to make that workshop happen out there... what is near to you?

Cynthia Koch said...

Anywhere in California!! I'd travel the state to where you are!

Cynthia Koch said...

Anywhere in California! I'd travel the state to go where you are.

Blu said...

Beautiful work!