Wednesday, July 10, 2013

What attracts me as I travel & how it spurs creativity Part I

Traveling is not only one of my favorite things to do, I also find that traveling spurs creativity. 

 A fresh new perspective, new experiences, tastes, scents, sounds, and visual stimuli spur creativity when traveling. Affirmations occur, and catalysts are formed for future works of art. Here's a little tour over the course of several posts to share my experience and perhaps inspire your creativity
Architecture and history, yes it looks like we are at the The Parthenon, but this is not Greece but in Nashville, Tennessee where there is a full-scale replica of the original Parthenon in Athens. It was built in 1897 here's more on this Museum. I immediately had to send a picture to my friend and artist +Josh Garrick who will be in an exhibition at the National Archaeological Museum of Greece, Athens. As an art collector I own 3 pieces of Josh Garrick's work. Grecian art has been a long time inspiration since my childhood, it was pure delight when one of my best friends would bring me gifts from her family's home in Greece, and it is on my bucket list to "Get to Greece". I've painted many vessels inspired by Ode on a Grecian Urn, where Keats's most controversial line of poetry comes forth - '"Beauty is truth, truth beauty," - that is all/Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'  My train of thought is also how I paint and work. I connected to the site, architecture, history, my friend Josh, my childhood friend, Greece, my high school British Poetry Class with Mr Smith, umbrellas, columns, form, sculpture, art and more.  The connectivity is of high interest to me involving the history, reflecting on past, present and future. And funny thing is we went to Nashville for the 4th of July, to see The Band Perry, and just happened upon the Parthenon in our exploration.


Music is a catalyst of inspiration, filled with emotion, rhythm, beat, movement. 
We stood in the rain covered in mud, sacrificing our shoes was worth it!

Have you been inspired by Greece or  Greek Art?
How does music play a role in your art or creativity?




Bookmark and Share

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thank you Robin -- feeling the LOVE ... Josh

Unknown said...

Thank you Robin -- feeling the LOVE -- Josh