Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Masked Crow fun fantasy art for those with a sense of humor

"Masked Crow"

"Masked Crow" by Robin Maria Pedrero




This is a twist, a crow wearing a mask instead of a human wearing a crow mask!

3 sizes of reproductions are available here 

While traveling in Italy, especially in Venice and also in New Orleans
I've enjoyed seeing a variety of  Crow Masks
and just wearing masks in general is fun!


 I was curious..so I searched ...
Do you know where the wearing of crow masks originated?
 

In the seventeenth and eighteenth centuries, some doctors wore a beak-like mask which was filled with aromatic items. The masks were designed to protect them from putrid air, which  was seen as the cause of infection.The nose half a foot long, shaped like a beak, filled with perfume with only two holes, one on each side near the nostrils, but that can suffice to breathe and to carry along with the air one breathes the impression of the drugs enclosed further along in the beak.




Bookmark and Share



14 comments:

Kung Phoo said...

That was fun information to learn about!

Sharon O'Day said...

What gives art the ability to stretch our imaginations is by reversing what we are accustomed to seeing ... so we are then able to see the "normal" version with new insights. Thanks, Robin, for sharing your masked crow with us!

Luisa Otero said...

This was so interesting & FUN! Love creative people. thanks for sharing...

Terri Davis said...

I love learning a little history behind the art inspiration!

wow101 said...

WOW! I love to learn the story behind the piece of art. This is so interesting. Thanks for sharing. :)

Tina said...

I wonder if another reason was the fact the people didn't bathe regularly and this was a way to "mask" body odor (no pun intended!).

Kelly Dees said...

I've only worn masks for halloween parties. I should try it sometime to see how people react.

Michelle Edwards said...

Very interesting! Thanks for sharing

Meli Horowitz said...

I remember seeing the gorgeous masks when I was in Venice. I didn't know about physicians using masks in the past. I can understand why they did.

BeadZPassionista said...

I find your blogs inspiring and get my creative juices going for my blogging. I love masks but never chose a crow one. fun info- thanks.

Simona R. Stefanescu said...

I love the painting, it seems so playful - while crows are perceived as serious.

Campbell Jane said...

Love it!

CarlaGardinerOnline said...

I can't even imagine being a medical doctor back in those centuries. I can understand why they would wear a crow's mask filled with aromatic scents, possibly even essential oils to cover over any rancid smells and protect them from germs, too.

CarlaGardinerOnline said...

I can't even imagine being a medical doctor back in those centuries. I can understand why they would wear a crow's mask filled with aromatic scents, possibly even essential oils to cover over any rancid smells and protect them from germs, too.