Monday, February 03, 2014

When the rain won't go away , use it for a new love series


 It does not happen often that we have days of solid gray skies here in Florida,
but lately the sun has rarely peeked out,
and it's been wet for more than a few hours, for several days.

"Sweethearts"
I am kinda giddy about this painting. It was fun to create. I needed something different from my usual subject matter to work on this week for a change. While traveling in Chicago I had just left the Chicago Art Institute, and walked through a garden to encounter an engagement photo shoot where an umbrella was a perfect prop. There was classic and cuteness all in one snap. This week inspired by that memory and the constant rain I painted these sweethearts under a red umbrella. I posted the piece on facebook and the original sold quite quickly.




 I created limited editions of my painting. Usually you would find this listed on Etsy however I am making some changes in my art business this year. I am presently developing my own name domain website, RobinMariaPedrero.com where I have posted the  "Sweethearts" Limited Editions as the first image for sale there.


charcoal on canvas

I began another in this series this time pulling from my love of watching the rain at the beach.
 I began by sketching this image on a 10" x 8" canvas.
Then proceeded to apply acrylic paint in many layers. 
Building the paint to create the rainy beach with the couple cuddled under the black umbrella.


Many love stories spurred in my mind for this new series called "Is this love"


My thoughts turned to one of my favorite shows "How I Met Your Mother"  where there is a yellow umbrella in their love story and I produced this next painting, "Kissing under the Yellow Umbrella". When my daughter's friend visited my studio the instant association proved for a heart touching series of  "Ohs" and "Ahs which made us all smile and laugh. I kept this piece with an illustrative style for a fun look.




Bookmark and Share

16 comments:

Simona R. Stefanescu said...

I remember my first kiss in the rain, There was no umbrella. So many years after and I still remember it...

Don Purdum said...

I love how tell stories through art. It's a treasure most have lost and don't think about. You see a painting, but we never ask the question of what's behind the painting?

Kung Phoo said...

Wow i really like them.. reminds me of when we were kids and our parents would do that..

Sandy K Hardy said...

I love these! they are so adorable! I like seeing the start of your painting.

Sandy K Hardy said...

These are adorable. I love seeing the sketch!

Doiron said...

I like how you turned these paintings in a series. YOU have great ideas, Robin.

wow101 said...

Such beautiful works of art! Lovely. When I think of rain and an umbrella, reminds me of when I was little. My grandma would make me peanut butter sandwiches with a glass of milk and I'd sit on the balcony under a huge umbrella. My uncle was in the police force and I had his black umbrella. :) It's one of my favorite memories.

Nate said...

When I look at the painting of the couple kissing in the rain. It reminds me of the one scene in Spiderman where Peter Parker and Mary Jane kissed for the first time. Awesome love story! Lol.

Connie, Social Media Buzzmeister said...

I can see "why" you're giddy about your painting. I wish I had an ounce of your talent!

Connie, Social Media Buzzmeister said...

Are you on Pinterest Robin? Your work is perfect for that social media platform!

BeadZPassionista said...

As always, love how you tell a story in your art and share in your blog the story.

Marielle Altenor said...

You have created such beautiful art work. I love them.

Casa Vilora Interiors said...

I love this series. I enjoy looking at your work. Very nice

Pat Moon said...

I love how you describe what inspires your paintings. The umbrella/rain series is very fascinating. Sure a simple pure expressions of love and joy.

Elisa said...

Your artwork is beautiful! I love this series...it is so inspiring, it brings tears to my eyes. Exceptional work, thank you.

Sharon O'Day said...

Thank you, Robin, for sharing the motivation behind the pieces. That adds another layer to the piece and reinforces the emotions brought out in the subject matter and chosen colors!