Tuesday, March 04, 2014

Cat in the Garden or Hide and Seek?


I began by painting a garden 
and as I painted I envisioned a cat
 peering out from behind the foliage.


The bird was there before the cat appeared,
and is hunkered down hiding.
I could say this cat has had many lives in this painting.
As the look of the cat changed as I painted. 

This is the initial charcoal drawing of the cat on the acrylic painting.
I kinda liked the attitude and playful character,
so I pondered at this stage for quite some time
as to the future look. 

I painted more of the garden.
 
 Next I developed a more realistic look for the kitty.
I continued to build layers of values,
colors and detail in the cat's face.
I studied the work and decided to make some minor adjustments. 
And repeated this process until today. 

I am so very pleased to share my
"Cat in the Garden" 

 
"Cat in the Garden" 

The Broadway Musical "Cats" was the very first Broadway Musical
I experienced at the Winter Garden Theater in NYC. Still one of my favorites.

"The Naming of Cats is a difficult matter,
It isn't just one of your holiday games;
You may think at first I'm as mad as a hatter
When I tell you, a cat must have THREE DIFFERENT NAMES." TS ELLIOT

So my dear friends what 3 names would this Cat in the Garden have?


Bookmark and Share

4 comments:

Jaime Haney said...

I just love to see the progress of your paintings. I tend to name all my critters with multiple names and then they usually also get nick names. When I first saw this little guy I thought "Jumping Jehoshaphat Jimmy" not sure why. haha So, naturally I had to look up how to spell it and "googled it". I came across a very interesting "why". Here is the link, I hope you don't mind... http://www.answerbag.com/q_view/190396

Robin Pedrero said...

Oh Jaime that is terrific!!! I adore the name and I did not know the story. Love it! So that a triple whammy 3 names in one!

Sheila said...

Silly Sally seeking sunshine...but that is not three names...

Robin Pedrero said...

Love it Sheila!