Wednesday, October 14, 2015

The Ultimate result of all ambition

"Deer at Water in the Woods" Pedrero
Every once in awhile I take out my well loved copy of Simple Abundance by Sarah Ban Breathnach (a name I enjoy to repeat, some names are just fun like that) Her quote for today is by Samuel Johnson "To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition." My first inclination was to argue in that "result" might not be the best word, a hope, or a goal. I was curious as to what writing that thought came from and dear google brought up this " Essays from the "Rambler", "Adventurer" and "Idler"". What interesting titles, like movie or book characters, shoes we try on in life and daydreams. As kids that was often a game we played, "Explorer" and I was an adventurer, and went on many expeditions. Having just traveled to see some autumn landscapes and pick apples, after driving hours returning home is the reward. Traveling fills the well for my creative enterprises. I come back to my studio tired, but refreshed with new visions. There's a cycle there. As I reflect I'll agree with Samuel and Sarah, "To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition." How about you?

No comments: